Thursday, May 20, 2010

White Envelope!!!!!!!!!!

We just happened to be at the mall when the "White Envelope" from SLC came. We dashed home to find it still unopened and lying harmlessly on the kitchen table. I'm wondering if I could pull a "Carnac the Magnificent" and just hold it up to my forehead and discern the contents. Others have suggested that I just steam it open. That's too easy. Anybody can do that. My daughter Liesl can give x-rays. I could have her scan it. Nah, still too easy. How about I let Spencer, my 8-month-old grandson open it. He loves to put everything in his mouth. Then we could say that Spencer found it and tore it open with his two little tiny lower incisors. However, explaining how an infant who can't walk yet and can barely crawl, was able to climb up the chair and onto the table, might be a bit unbelievable.

Dum de dum dum


OK, I'm back. I had to go and hold it one more time, hoping to get a vibration; an extra sensory excitation; an occipital lobe oscillation. Not happening. All I got was a stronger desire for an Oreo. If only we had any.

I guess we could just hold on to it for 10 more days and let Caleb open it himself, but where's the joy in that? I'll tell you where it is. It's in seeing the last of my 5 sons wanting to serve his two-year mission so badly he can hardly stand it, just like his brothers before him. That's where the joy is. That's where I want to be.

4 comments:

  1. I have another suggestion... you could let your son- in-law, ryan, open it... I don't think Caleb would mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh I'm so excited! Can't wait to find out what it is!... oh and I'm obviously an outcast, because I don't know what CTC is... can you fill me in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For all the uninitiated, CTC is Cinnamon Toast Crunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a challenge to wait. But what a joy to see it opened in front of you. Out of my three sons who have served, I have only been w/one of them when he opened his call. My oldes lived in Utah, with Aunt Patti when he put his papers in and received his call... so we were on the phone w/him... and we thought Michael's call would have come the week before it did. I had to fly to Indiana and of course it came then... thus on the phone again. Not fun either time. But so grateful they served! Let us know.

    ReplyDelete